eyeliner on a cat

eyeliner on a cat
beauty, scent & style scrutinized for pleasure

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

When we were young: Opus Oils Lady Death

I have a lot of days and nights when I'm not exactly looking for a complicated fragrance to distract me, I just want something that gives me a happy and peaceful feeling. Opus Oils Lady Death from the "Afraid of the Dark" collection is exactly that.

notes: black lily, plum, narcissus, opium, oak moss

The first thing I notice is the bright, slightly tart plum that is almost reminiscent of black cherry. It's so cheerful and soothing, The floral notes of black lily and narcissus lurk quietly behind the plum, never asserting themselves too much. Almost from the start, the sweet and dark incense facet of opium melds with a touch of what comes across as tonka-infused musk. Combined with  the rich cushion of oak moss, this stage lasts for hours and the plumminess fades. As it dries down, it becomes softly powdery and just feels downright narcotic.

photo: opusoils.com

Lady Death has an "It-factor" that I had a lot of trouble placing at first, and then I finally realized what "it" is. It makes me feel younger when I wear it, it reminds me of old times- incense smoke, very late nights, romantic trysts and Siouxie and the Banshees blasting on the stereo. It's a very comforting, easy scent that fits very well with who I once was and still am. For me, Lady Death is quite literally time in a bottle.

Siouxie Sioux

[Opus Oils Lady Death is available in several different sizes starting at 1 dram for $30 as well as in bath and body products. Sample was sent to me by the perfumer for consideration]

13 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love every single thing about this post. Why haven't I ordered from Opus Oils yet?!

    ...oh, because you've made me a broke bunny, that's why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dead curious about Opus Oils for quite some time now, and your glowing reviews of Giggle Water, Dapper and now Lady Death are not helping at all! Then, of course, you had to completely do me in by mentioning my favorite female singer of all time - Siouxsie. That does it! You've got a lot on your conscience, girl...a LOT! ;)

    Maybe some day...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, one of the wonderful things about Opus Oils is that samples are very inexpensive-- and this is something I REALLY appreciate, since the samples from other small companies I've been looking at lately are $10 each or MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharryn StormonthAugust 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM

    Oh! Carrie, I so agree with Joey. Although this was not on the list I ordered from Opus, I wonder if it's not too late to get it added in.. Me broke bunny too! Love Siouxie and the Banshees. The Killing Time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @tarleisio - I'm sending you the PLAP set with Opus Oils WILD CHILD which happens to be the WINNER of the project!!! I'll put in some more samples of hers too!!!
    Thank you Carrie, I have not tried this set yet- love your description and i am certainly captivated by Kedra's incense fruity potions...cool that you picked this one to review!!! Xo MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far, I have been very happy with all of the Opus Oils samples that I have sampled. I have not tried this one, and like you Carrie, I think it will transport me back to my younger, angstier days.

    I reviewed a perfume by Wiggle months ago that was teenage-me in a bottle. That was time in a bottle for me. Not something I want most of the time (not totally good memories) but something I love to smell every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, I love that this scent that makes you so happy is called "Lady Death"! Far from being edgy, it's sounds like a comfort scent on you and a youth potion too! Must be nice to find a perfume that can transport you back in time like that.

    I forgot to put narcissus and oakmoss on my favourite notes comment here the other day! This sounds fabulous. Opus Oils have been on my radar a lot lately and I've entered a draw on CaFleureBon for a sample set, so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharryn, glad to see more love for Siouxie! Lady Death is definitely worth a try, hopefully you're able to have it added in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica, that's really nice of you to send Tarleisio some Opus Oils samples, I think she will definitely find some to love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victoria: you and I seem to have similar backgrounds in terms of music and general mayhem, so you will probably like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tara- some scents can transport me back in time to a place I don't necessarily want to be, which renders the perfume unwearable, but luckily for me, in this case, Lady Death brings back good feelings. The scent represents a happy time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been sampling Lady Death over the weekend. This is my kind of fragrance. Your review is spot on. No surprises there :) Tried High Hat (loving this one too) and Speakeasy (this one is a little sweet for me). So far 2 out of 3 with oodles to go. Looks like it is going to be an Opus week. Thanks for the recommendation..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharryn: Glad you like Lady Death! It's one of those perfumes I can put on anytime, and it just feels right, like a favorite old sweater. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete