eyeliner on a cat

eyeliner on a cat
beauty, scent & style scrutinized for pleasure

Monday, September 26, 2011

New series: Mini Mondays! [9/26/11]

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, and I'm finally getting to it. I can't say for sure that I'll be doing this every Monday, but I'll try! My plan is that each Monday, I'll pick a few perfumes to do mini-reviews of, and I'd love to hear what your impressions are of them as well, if you have any!

[my favorite mini- a pygmy marmoset, just a few inches high]

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial

I'm a little late with this one, considering I've already used up 1/3 of my bottle and have since relegated it to the warm weather fragrance area, but better late than never. This flanker to Shalimar is quite good, it sparkles, it's a true gourmand Oriental in Thierry Wasser style. It's an energizing scent for me as opposed to the usual slightly narcotic effect an Oriental has on me, and while I admit that I've never been a fan of Shalimar (despite my mother's early proclivities toward it), I think Parfum Initial is a wonderful fragrance for warm weather. Lemon tart, vanilla, patchouli... a strange masculine edge that is not particularly easy to reconcile with the over-the-top doughy sweetness, but somehow, it works. By the power of Wasser, it works. 



Molinard Vanille EDT

This is one of the best straight-up, cheap and cheerful vanilla scents for layering, and you can get it for a song on discount sites, too. One of my all-time favorite combinations is Le Labo Oud 27 with Molinard Vanille-- it lends a pure, cozy and warm edge to Oud 27's cold, woody, bewitching weirdness. The effect is much like M. Micallef's Aoud Gourmet, which is wonderful but expensive. This was one of my earliest scent layering experiments that turned out beautifully, and I wore it a ton last fall and winter.



Comme des Garcons Series 6 Synthetic: Tar

Sadly discontinued with arguably some of the worst packaging ever, I still love Tar. It's similar to Bulgari Black, except not as sweet, complex, or annoying. Instead, Tar gives me everything I love about avant-garde synthetic fragrances: an impression in broad strokes of newly laid black top in a school yard. While not being classically pretty in any way, shape or form, it should appeal to those who tend to be attracted to the scent of skunk and gasoline. If you happen to find a bottle somewhere in the open market, beware of the packaging, which resembles a black condom inside a clear plastic bottle. Sometimes it leaks and forms condensation inside, and whispers nasty things into your ear in the middle of the night. But, if you can find it, grab it anyway. Victoria from EauMG and I were lucky enough to pick up the last two bottles from The Perfume House in Portland thanks to a hot tip and quick thinking by Dee from Beauty on the Outside. We both still wonder if there are any more bottles out there in the world, but rather doubt it because of the high chance of evaporation due to the packaging. 



[all perfumes purchased by me for my personal collection]

14 comments:

  1. Thanks to you I'm wearing Shalimar PI today. That's what they should call it. Like Magnum PI. A rogueish nickname. Even if I never found Shalimar the original wearable, I was skeptical about a patch Angel/cocomademoiselle coverup, but it's pretty good. Soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottle even has a tassel that can be repurposed as a moustache, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the mention! I love enabling... ;)

    PI is great--- I got in on a split this year, but by next spring, I suspect that it will be a full bottle!

    BTW, I got the Oct issue of Allure: lots of great perfume coverage! And it was so cool to see you and V interviewed, though I had kinda been hoping you were going to be the star of the feature... Maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dee! Well, it turned out that I was quoted more than anyone else, and the piece ended with a quote by me, so that was WAY thrilling enough! The truth is, I feel like it was a lucky set of circumstances I was even in that article at all. I'm just grateful and awful happy about it. :) I hope that sort of thing happens again, the editors at Allure couldn't be nicer people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not spend too much time on twitter but I witnessed the hunt and the purchase of Tar so it was nice to read a story here. Because of the poor packaging I won't even attempt to locate a bottle but if I come across it somehow I'll grab it.
    I tried PI and liked it more than the original (sorry, I'm not in Guerlain fan club - yet?) but it was just nice, not special enough for me to want a bottle. But I might reconsider as I keep trying it. Or I'll just buy a bottle of the original and wait until it comes to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Tar; I didn't realize that it was discontinued. That seem Wrong of CdG; how can they maintain their weird cred if they get rid of the weird?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that explains why I can't get Tar... I love the sound of the Molinard Vanille, my closest friend is a major Vanilla fiend, so I will have to track this down. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg I love Tar and didn't realize it was dc'ed. I only had a decant of it and now it's gone :(

    I liked Shalimar Parfum Initial much more than I ever imagined. Given that I don't like regular Shalimar anymore (decided this recently after wearing it for many years!) it didn't seem there was hope for PI, but since it's a very different fragrance, an oriental gourmand, I have been wearing it lately. And, yes, the tassle is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Undina, thanks for commenting. I can see Guerlain not appealing to absolutely everyone, even though I'm practically the president of their fan club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken! I believe it's been discontinued for over a year now. Someone overseas sent me a sample after it was discontinued, and I fell in love. I searched for months before finally finding my bottle. The whole Synthetic series is no more, I believe. It's a shame because I really wanted to try Soda and Dry Clean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharryn, you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting Molinard Vanille- I think I got my bottle from FragranceX or one of the other larger perfume discount online shops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abigail- it's a hardcore perfume lover's worst nightmare, finding out that something you love is on the way out. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love mini-Mondays! A quick glance over is so much appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks N.K.! Come for the pygmy marmoset, stay for the mini-reviews.

    ReplyDelete