eyeliner on a cat

eyeliner on a cat
beauty, scent & style scrutinized for pleasure

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Memory Erasers: Demeter for Sanrio and Etat Libre d'Orange

I was just thinking today about one of my favorite smells from my childhood: Sanrio gummi erasers. They smell like powdery, fruity bubblegum and I always wanted to chew on them, but relegated myself to huffing them instead. When Demeter for Sanrio decided to release fragrances inspired by Hello Kitty and her friends awhile back, I was stoked. One of them, the Sanrio 50th Anniversary fragrance, was designed to smell exactly like those erasers I hoarded as a child. I had faith that Demeter could pull this off.



Unfortunately, it was a huge fail. My inner child had to have a time-out. If you're in the market for fruity plastic, this is for you. When I think about it, Etat Libre d'Orange Encens et Bubblegum is actually closer to the mark. It smells like classic Dubble Bubble Bubble Gum, with a bit of spice to it. Wearing it gave me a strange thrill, but it ultimately proved to be a stark reminder of my age. It was an ultra-short-lived fountain of youth, but at least I got to go there. It's a touch sexy in a disturbing, Lolita-ish way, but I think there are a slew of teenagers out there who would fall in love with it. I think the concept and the formulation of the fragrance is one of Etat Libre d'Orange's most interesting (and I am a fan of theirs in general, for the record). I like to recommend that people try it just to try it, but it's hard for me to conjure up the image of a real adult who might wear it.


And now I put this question to you, dear readers: Do you have a special memory of a thing or place that you wish someone would replicate into a perfume?

10 comments:

  1. I too loved Double Bubble growing up. That and a baseball themed gum called Big League Chew. I loved the smell of opening a pack of the purple grape flavor. I'd like a perfumer to try weaving a purple grape scent into a men's fragrance.

    While I probably wouldn't wear the Etat Libre scent you've mentioned, I am curious to whiff it after reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started reading this post, I thought you were going to mention Divin'Enfant, which reminds me of the erasers I used when I was about 8/9.

    I quite enjoyed smelling E&B too, but no... I couldn't wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul- Big League Chew was in hot demand around the schoolyard, I remember it well! It had a certain pleasant rubberiness to it that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. P- I've got to go dig out my sample of Divin Enfant now. I tested it once and tossed it aside, it did not work for me at all, but I do like to give second chances. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I very much do. I used to live near a river, and it had a particular smell. I think there must have been flowering trees somewhere that I couldn't get to or see along the banks, because there was a really pretty floral scent that would waft through and mix with the sort of swampy smell of the river in winter, and it was such an amazing blend. I'm not doing it justice, as I know "swampy" sounds sort of bad. But trust me, it was great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. apb- thanks for your interesting comment! I am imagining the place as you described, and it sounds like a job for Jean-Claude Ellena! I can imagine the camera crew following him to his pilgrimage to that spot with you, as he stops to inspect the local flora. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had the Canadian fair, which served up some of the most delectable cotton candy. When I tried Hanae Mori, I almost puked, but, have to say that teasing sweetness is always a thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes please! JCE and me, on the hunt for the mystery smell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I'm not the only freak that loved the smell of hello kitty erasers. To my nose, Love & Toast Pomme Poivre has that milky sweet rubbery hello kitty eraser smell. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in Korea (land of Hello Kitty merchandise) and you'd think I would know what this eraser smells like... but now I'm sad that I DON'T!!! :(

    But I did have a HK pencil case and the smell I associate with it is the scent of freshly shaved wooden pencils. (Seriously, they made me shave my own pencil with a pencil-shaving knife. In Grade 1!)

    ReplyDelete